Re: [Shop-talk] Recommendations on yard sprayer

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Recommendations on yard sprayer
From: Jimmie Mayfield <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 18:21:47 -0400
On 7/10/20 14:50, Scott Hall wrote:
> I have this thing:
>
> https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/262df14e-86b7-4bdf-8f8f-da9499c09315_2.92f2350fc4e1bca90c0192173c0ef9a5.jpeg?odnWidth=undefined&odnHeight=undefined&odnBg=ffffff
>

> I'm trying to keep weeds at bay--in the driveway and near the garage,
> and in those rocks in my previous post which sprout grass each spring.
> My plan was to use that sprayer to hose down the rock garden with a
> mixture of vinegar and salt and kill the little bastards before they
> germinated.
>
> That sprayer is useless for that--it produces a tiiny, thin spray that
> is really only useful for individual tiny weeds in cracks in pavement.
> And even that takes forever.
>
> The 'rocked area' is maybe 2000 sq. ft. total, and I want to
> inundate the area--I pulled them all by hand this year or used a
> driveway/roofing torch to burn them away but they're already re-sprouting.
>
> Anybody have a sprayer that can cover some area they recommend?

I use a couple sprayers depending on what I need to do.  For large
areas, I have an Ortho "Dial N Spray" hose-end type sprayer like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Ortho-Spray-Multi-Use-Hose-End-Sprayer/dp/B0071D0EZK

I use this when spraying the main yard.

I also have this Field King brand manual backpack sprayer:

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-190328-Backpack-Sprayer-Killing/dp/B000AYHKUO

Holds 4-gallons of pre-mixed solution and I strongly recommend these
over the manual pump sprayer like you tried to use.

Now, I did swap the nozzle for a "TeeJet" style nozzle that makes a
better fan spray (sorry, I don't remember where I bought them...maybe at
the local Southern States store).  If you do the same, TeeJet makes
dozens of agricultural nozzles so I recommend you look up the TeeJet
charts to pick the one(s) that create the droplet size and spray pattern
that you want.

For a 2000-sqft area, I'd probably use the hose-end sprayer.  The
backpack sprayer would work fine but you might need to fill it more than
once depending on your dilution rate.

(I also have a couple small pump sprayers like you tried to use but
they're only good for spot spraying.  I wouldn't want to use one for
more than 100 sqft)...

Jimmie