Re: [Shop-talk] moving computer files

To: john niolon <jniolon@att.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] moving computer files
From: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 08:49:01 -0500
Cc: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--000000000000b9f1be05a6a17b31

First, of course, your data files are the most important things and unless
some got corrupted which is rare, they should be ok. You may be able to
physically install the HD in your new box, depending on space, or you can
put it in an external case, probably using USB3, which a new computer
should have. You can get kits to allow connecting bare (internal) drives
without a case. This (https://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/U3NV2SPATA/=
)
is a very useful gadget. Or you can get a drop-in drive dock for about the
same money.

I recently added a new, third SSD to a Win 7 desktop that I built several
years ago. I installed Win 10 on the new drive and reinstalled all of my
applications on it from scratch, leaving the original W7 boot SSD and data
HDs in place. It's all worked fine. While there are applications that
supposedly let you clone everything, I'm not sure that would work going
from W7 to W10, and in my experience you usually need the application
licence keys to get them to work, if they don't require an application
update to run on W10.

The first thing I'd do is do the setup on the new computer, then connect
your old HD to it and backup your data files, if they're not backed up
already. There should be plenty of info online, especially YouTube, on
doing what you need to do. Check out tom's Hardware (website) and Paul's
Hardware (YouTube).

HTH,
RD

rives without a case. This (<a href=3D"https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newe=
rTech/U3NV2SPATA/">https://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/U3NV2SPATA/</a=
>) is a very useful gadget. Or you can get a drop-in drive dock for about t=
n 7 desktop that I built several years ago. I installed Win 10 on the new d=
rive and reinstalled all of my applications on it from scratch, leaving the=
 original W7 boot SSD and data HDs in place. It&#39;s all worked fine. Whil=
e there are applications that supposedly let you clone everything, I&#39;m =
not sure that would work going from W7 to W10, and in my experience you usu=
ally need the application licence keys to get them to work, if they don&#39=
e first thing I&#39;d do is do the setup on the new computer, then connect =
your old HD to it and backup your data files, if they&#39;re not backed up =
already. There should be plenty of info online, especially YouTube, on doin=
g what you need to do. Check out tom&#39;s Hardware (website) and Paul&#39;=
d, May 27, 2020 at 7:57 AM john niolon &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jniolon@att.ne=
ass=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid=
 rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
oard=20
died in the process.=C2=A0 I=E2=80=99m looking at a refurbished dell unit w=
ith a solid=20
state drive as a replacement.=C2=A0 I haven=E2=80=99t had to copy a full ha=
rd drive=20
since you used a parallel cable and some software who=E2=80=99s name escape=
s=20
me.=C2=A0=C2=A0 What=E2=80=99s the best way to do this from a HDD to a SSD =
nowadays=20
??</div>
put my old hard drive=20
in it to slave it for the copying.</div>
=A0=20
will win10 run all the software my 7 machine did ??=C2=A0 I=E2=80=99m getti=
ng so=20
computer illiterate !!!</div>
ox.team.net</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"norefer=