Re: [Shop-talk] moving computer files

To: john niolon <jniolon@att.net>, shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] moving computer files
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 06:41:12 -0700
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=dk12062016; d=earthlink.net; b=NfD3RIpvy2tZsQPMd048Kr2PlHh4/khIX+o5ch5bvn3l477plv3dhL2ofciZzqb8jWFDEHFNQqO4ZwcPZCdMRN5wIFCqp6hKszRW1j4fu4d2Hw8UtVfjmgAM48XHdS5ICo3ni5kVT5SKTnYWEcQgGhWDkNsmXGi5dyviBP8+1pbmnmuCNYY+qRY1zjOgmKS4OlbT6578j2V8Q2MFh4iCeHZN+9I0Vmh7BPlQTK/AHUanwOdG9esu6ZX72QzcbhomBLeE3wZwyh1bOuJah66ipDWLOsglIuEqXp9OForKxUxF2FN4dsnJz46dUC1SX+519K0LsM2rFDGDUDjv+o94FQ==; h=Received:Subject:To:References:From:Message-ID:Date:User-Agent:MIME-Version:In-Reply-To:Content-Type:Content-Language:X-ELNK-Trace:X-Originating-IP;

--------------10C847329949943BD81DD538

I recommend an external docking station.  Super easy and you don't have
to open anything up.  Tried to move my old Win 7 C: drive to the new Win
10 computer and had trouble getting it recognized.  No problem with my
data drive (I keep most of my data on a second hard drive in the
computer).  Ended up getting a docking station and it was super easy.
The drive just plugs into to the docking station like a video game
cartridge or 8-track tape.  Nothing to open up.

This is the one I got because I'm local to the store and wanted it fast:
https://www.frys.com/product/8937843

Look for USB 3 for speed.  After you copy the data to the computer, box
up the old drive and save it as a backup.  If the Win 7 computer had
problems, the drive is also potentially near the end of life, so it
isn't worth risking your data.

The solid state drives are fantastic.  My new Win 10 computer boots in
about 20 seconds.  I do have a second drive in it.  Solid state drives
are small, so if you have lots of pictures or videos, you will probably
need the additional space.  There are options to move the default
folders for your files (documents, pictures, music, etc) to the second
drive.

Brian

On 5/27/2020 5:56 AM, john niolon wrote:
> shop content... I use my computer to buy tools.
> had a few power surges / losses the other night and my desktop
> motherboard died in the process.  Iâ??m looking at a refurbished dell
> unit with a solid state drive as a replacement.  I havenâ??t had to copy
> a full hard drive since you used a parallel cable and some software
> whoâ??s name escapes me.   Whatâ??s the best way to do this from a HDD to
> a SSD nowadays ??
> ltâ??s a small format machine and I donâ??t know if I can put my old hard
> drive in it to slave it for the copying.
> Its also a windows 10 machine and my old machine was windows 7...
> will win10 run all the software my 7 machine did ??  Iâ??m getting so
> computer illiterate !!!
> john

--------------10C847329949943BD81DD538

  <head>
  </head>
    I recommend an external docking station.  Super easy and you don't
    have to open anything up.  Tried to move my old Win 7 C: drive to
    the new Win 10 computer and had trouble getting it recognized.  No
    problem with my data drive (I keep most of my data on a second hard
    drive in the computer).  Ended up getting a docking station and it
    was super easy.  The drive just plugs into to the docking station
    like a video game cartridge or 8-track tape.  Nothing to open up. <br>
    This is the one I got because I'm local to the store and wanted it
    fast:<br>
    <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://www.frys.com/product/8937843";>https://www.frys.com/product/8937843</a><br>
    Look for USB 3 for speed.  After you copy the data to the computer,
    box up the old drive and save it as a backup.  If the Win 7 computer
    had problems, the drive is also potentially near the end of life, so
    it isn't worth risking your data.<br>
    The solid state drives are fantastic.  My new Win 10 computer boots
    in about 20 seconds.  I do have a second drive in it.  Solid state
    drives are small, so if you have lots of pictures or videos, you
    will probably need the additional space.  There are options to move
    the default folders for your files (documents, pictures, music, etc)
    to the second drive.<br>
    Brian<br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:6C029B849F884A9CB10A4A72864BE50A@johnslaptop">
          #000000">
            desktop motherboard died in the process.  Iâ??m looking at a
            refurbished dell unit with a solid state drive as a
            replacement.  I havenâ??t had to copy a full hard drive since
            you used a parallel cable and some software whoâ??s name
            escapes me.   Whatâ??s the best way to do this from a HDD to a
            SSD nowadays ??</div>
            my old hard drive in it to slave it for the copying.</div>
            windows 7...  will win10 run all the software my 7 machine
            did ??  Iâ??m getting so computer illiterate !!!</div>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net";>Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>
href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>