[Shop-talk] Backup problems (was: diesel fuel question, then backup gene

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Backup problems (was: diesel fuel question, then backup generator issues)
From: Mark Miller via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 12:21:04 -0700
I would guess you were not on the emergency power system at all; it came
back on after 5 minutes because the test was complete and you went back
to mains power feed.

Even more off topic here.

Not life threatening as your situation was but I once worked at a
mini-computer manufacturer where we got fancy: hired someone to run our
system backups so we engineers didn't have to take turns babysitting it
nightly. Eventually we had a problem as we had more data than would fit
on a single tape (1/2" 9 track). Note that this was still under 200Mb
(Mb, not Gb), now a $2 thumb drive. So the code was updated to flow onto
another tape and a message to the backup operator when the tape reached
the end popped up "mount other tape".  Fast forward until someone went
to use the backup after a disk crash and it was unusable:  our data had
grown so that we now needed 2+ tapes but with the message that came up
the operator put the first tape back  in for the second change,
overwriting the first tape in the backup. Oops.

Regards,

Mark Miller   707-490-5834
markmiller@threeboysfarm.com