Re: [Shop-talk] diesel fuel question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] diesel fuel question
From: Eric Russell via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 11:27:08 -0400

--------------5230594E7C8EE0E203334F9F

Since we've drifted a little bit off-topic (and we likely have too much
free time now), here's my story about emergency generators. At the time
I was working (RN) night shift in a hospital ICU. Every Tuesday about
6am the hospital would test their emergency generator. It was supposed
to be a quick blink from regular power to emergency power. Except in our
ICU (and only the ICU) the power would be off for 3-5 minutes! Not fun
when you have patients on ventilators that did not have battery back-up.
It got so bad I would remind my staff to stand by with flashlights and
manual Ambu bags every Tuesday morning.

I complained to the engineering department but they insisted the power
would only be off for a few seconds at most. I finally convinced the
chief engineer to come sit in our unit on a Tuesday morning. He did, the
power went off for a full 5 minutes and the color drained from his face.
Whatever was the problem finally got fixed.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

On 4/24/2020 10:30 AM, Al Fuller via Shop-talk wrote:
> As regards the comment you made below that the generators get
> exercised 30 minutes a week: Please keep in mind that its sounds like
> you meant to say the diesel engines get exercised [as opposed to the
> generators].
>
> The difference is the generator set also includes the transfer switch,
> wiring and other components. I had one client that fired up the diesel
> weekly, but when a wind storm blew down the power lines, the facility
> was down for a week while they tried to locate a new transfer switch.
> It turned out the building housed a lot more people and equipment than
> when the generator set was first specified and the switch set couldnâ??t
> support the load.  It was very frustrating to have a working diesel
> generator, but unable to power the building!

--------------5230594E7C8EE0E203334F9F

  <head>
  </head>
      too much free time now), here's my story about emergency
      generators. At the time I was working (RN) night shift in a
      hospital ICU. Every Tuesday about 6am the hospital would test
      their emergency generator. It was supposed to be a quick blink
      from regular power to emergency power. Except in our ICU (and only
      the ICU) the power would be off for 3-5 minutes! Not fun when you
      have patients on ventilators that did not have battery back-up. It
      got so bad I would remind my staff to stand by with flashlights
      and manual Ambu bags every Tuesday morning. <br>
      power would only be off for a few seconds at most. I finally
      convinced the chief engineer to come sit in our unit on a Tuesday
      morning. He did, the power went off for a full 5 minutes and the
      color drained from his face. Whatever was the problem finally got
      fixed. <br>
    Eric Russell<br>
    Mebane, NC <br>
      Shop-talk wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:09ce01d61a44$deb43a60$9c1caf20$@gmail.com">
        medium)">
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
        {margin:0in;
        margin-bottom:.0001pt;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:blue;
        text-decoration:underline;}
.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
        {size:8.5in 11.0in;
        margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
        that the generators get exercised 30 minutes a week: Please keep
        in mind that its sounds like you meant to say the diesel engines
        get exercised [as opposed to the generators]. <o:p></o:p>
          includes the transfer switch, wiring and other components. I
          had one client that fired up the diesel weekly, but when a
          wind storm blew down the power lines, the facility was down
          for a week while they tried to locate a new transfer switch.
          It turned out the building housed a lot more people and
          equipment than when the generator set was first specified and
          the switch set couldnâ??t support the load.  It was very
          frustrating to have a working diesel generator, but unable to
          power the building!<o:p></o:p></p>

--------------5230594E7C8EE0E203334F9F--

--===============5255912804876353762==

--===============5255912804876353762==--