Re: [Shop-talk] NOT Covid-related

To: shop-talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] NOT Covid-related
From: Bill Rabel via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 16:48:13 -0700

--Apple-Mail-6E63AE67-E362-48A9-86D4-BACDF00FB4C8
        charset=utf-8

Another place to check for rodent entry is drain pipes. I found that rats we=
re entering a rental unit of mine through the drain pipe where there was no w=
ashing machine installed.=20

Big snap traps with PB did them in, and I put a wad of copper wool in the pi=
pe.

- Bill Rabel
  Anacortes

=E2=80=9CI never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion=
, in philosophy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend.=E2=80=9D - Thomas=
 Jefferson

> On Mar 20, 2020, at 4:43 PM, Brian Kemp via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.tea=
m.net> wrote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BF
> I'm dealing with a similar problem.  Had an actual rat in my air duct in m=
y brand new system.  Saw it through the register.  Put traps with peanut but=
ter in the ducts.  Attached a length of electrical wire that came out and wa=
s secured between the register and the wall.  Only problem is that the heat i=
s on and the peanut butter dried out right away.  I put a bunch of baits und=
er the house and in the attic near where I found droppings.  Thought they we=
re gone, but heard them in the wall again.
>=20
> Make sure you block any openings where they might be getting in from outsi=
de.  I put new screen on my crawlspace vents and that got rid of them until t=
he new furnace install.  Discovered a new hole they made in the siding after=
 the install.  Blocked it and still at war with the rats.
>=20
> Brian
>=20
> -----Original Message-----=20
 traps and snap traps. Caught maybe five or six.  Haven't caught any in mont=
hs.
>=20
> But a few days ago I smelled...mouse. At least I think that's the smell. S=
ort of sickly sweet, like Simple Green. I didn't see any droppings. I was un=
der a heat register when it kicked on, and the smell was very noticeable. Th=
en, last night while I was in bed...I heard them. Scurrying in the vents.
>=20
> There are mice in the vents.
>=20
> Option 1) Burn the house down, claim insurance, rebuild.
>=20
> Option 2) get them out of there, clean the vents.
>=20
> Here's my dilemma: I must have a dozen traps around the house. Most in the=
 kitchen, pantry, and garage, where I saw them last. I haven't caught anythi=
ng in them forever. And I put traps near all the registers, nothing there ei=
ther.
>=20
> When I initially saw mice I put all the food in the pantry in glass or met=
al containers and I don't see any evidence in the pantry either. I don't thi=
nk they're eating any of my food. If it weren't for the smell and the noise I=
 wouldn't even know they're there. I have no idea what they are eating, but I=
 assume they're not starving because they're still there. They're not touchi=
ng ANY of the traps. It's like they've...learned. Can mice do that? That's d=
isconcerting.
>=20
> I pulled off the registers. I figure I can drop glue traps down there, and=
 snap traps if I'm really careful, but it's not like I'm just looking down a=
t the sheetmetal of the duct--the registers seem to be attached to a piece o=
f 3-inch tubing to the main duct. So while I can probably get traps in, I'm n=
ot sure I could get them out. To say nothing of cleaning the ducts themselve=
s.
>=20
> The ducts are all behind finished drywall. So before I just demolish the d=
rywall and disassemble my HVAC system, I thought I'd ask you guys for advice=
.
>=20
> The garage I can do the paint bucket with water and a log-roll type PVC tu=
be. And poison.
>=20
> I don't have pets or small children at home so I'm not worried about colla=
teral damage and I'm so filled with hatred that I'm not worried about being h=
umane. I just want these little bastards gone.
>=20

--Apple-Mail-6E63AE67-E362-48A9-86D4-BACDF00FB4C8
        charset=utf-8

utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto">Another place to check for rodent entry is d=
rain pipes. I found that rats were entering a rental unit of mine through th=
e drain pipe where there was no washing machine installed.&nbsp;<div><br></d=
iv><div>Big snap traps with PB did them in, and I put a wad of copper wool i=
r><div dir=3D"ltr"><span style=3D"background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);"=
>=E2=80=9CI never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religio=
n, in philosophy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend.=E2=80=9D - Thoma=
r 20, 2020, at 4:43 PM, Brian Kemp via Shop-talk &lt;shop-talk@autox.team.ne=
"ltr">=EF=BB=BF<div style=3D"font-size: 13px;color: rgb(0, 0, 0);font-family=
: arial, sans-serif;"><div>I'm dealing with a similar problem.&nbsp; Had an a=
ctual rat in my air duct in my brand new system.&nbsp; Saw it through the re=
gister.&nbsp; Put traps with peanut butter in the ducts.&nbsp; Attached a le=
ngth of electrical wire that came out and was secured between the register a=
nd the wall.&nbsp; Only problem is that the heat is on and the peanut butter=
 dried out right away.&nbsp; I put a bunch of baits under the house and in t=
he attic near where I found droppings.&nbsp; Thought they were gone, but hea=
penings where they might be getting in from outside.&nbsp; I put new screen o=
n my crawlspace vents and that got rid of them until the new furnace install=
.&nbsp; Discovered a new hole they made in the siding after the install.&nbs=
er-left: #0000ff 2px solid; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; text-de=
coration: none; font-size: 10pt; font-family: arial,sans-serif; color: black=
d the house. Put out glue traps and snap traps. Caught&nbsp;maybe five or si=
ys ago I smelled...mouse. At least I think that's the smell. Sort of sickly s=
weet, like Simple Green. I didn't see any droppings. I was under a heat regi=
ster when it kicked on, and the smell was very noticeable. Then, last night w=
lemma: I must have a dozen traps around the house. Most in the kitchen, pant=
ry, and garage, where I saw them last. I haven't caught anything in them for=
ever. And I put traps near all the registers, nothing there either.</div><di=
n glass or metal containers and I don't see any evidence in the pantry eithe=
r. I don't think they're eating any of my food. If it weren't for the smell a=
nd the noise I wouldn't even know they're there. I have no idea what they ar=
e eating, but I assume they're not starving because they're still there. The=
y're not touching ANY of the traps. It's like they've...learned. Can mice do=
ters. I figure I can drop glue traps down there, and snap traps if I'm reall=
y careful, but it's not like I'm just looking down at the sheetmetal of the d=
uct--the registers seem to be attached to a piece of 3-inch tubing to the ma=
in duct. So while I can probably get traps in, I'm not sure I could get them=
div>The ducts are all behind finished drywall. So before I just demolish the=
 drywall and disassemble my HVAC system, I thought I'd ask you guys for advi=
ave pets or small children at home so I'm not worried about collateral damag=
e and I'm so filled with hatred that I'm not worried about being humane. I j=
ust want these little bastards gone.</div></div>
</shop-talk@autox.team.net></shop-talk@autox.team.net></blockquote></div>

--Apple-Mail-6E63AE67-E362-48A9-86D4-BACDF00FB4C8--

--===============2207670673475567595==

--===============2207670673475567595==--