Re: [Shop-talk] NOT Covid-related

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] NOT Covid-related
From: RandE via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 18:06:45 -0500
Cc: RandE <rande90@gmail.com>

--0000000000008cf72505a1515700

You can attach a wire to the trap and slide it down the vents.  Attach the
other end to a nail or hook so you can pull it back out.

Randy

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 6:03 PM Jim Franklin via Shop-talk <
shop-talk@autox.team.net> wrote:

> [...]
> traps on top of the insulation. Then one day I added a good fresh wad of PB
> and bangbangbanbbang got 'em all, did another round, haven't heard any
> since.
>
> I use the ones with the fake cheese platform, it holds more peanut butter
> than the metal one. If you do put them down the vents make sure it won't
> slide out of reach when it trips.
>
> jim
>
> > On Mar 20, 2020, at 6:48 PM, Scott Hall via Shop-talk <
> shop-talk@autox.team.net> wrote:
> >
> > Well, except that I can spend more time at home, I guess.
> >
> > Overall question: how smart can a mouse actually be?
> >
> > So I noticed some mouse activity in the garage and the house. Put out
> glue traps and snap traps. Caught maybe five or six.  Haven't caught any in
> months.
> >
> > But a few days ago I smelled...mouse. At least I think that's the smell.
> Sort of sickly sweet, like Simple Green. I didn't see any droppings. I was
> under a heat register when it kicked on, and the smell was very noticeable.
> Then, last night while I was in bed...I heard them. Scurrying in the vents.
> >
> > There are mice in the vents.
> >
> > Option 1) Burn the house down, claim insurance, rebuild.
> >
> > Option 2) get them out of there, clean the vents.
> >
> > Here's my dilemma: I must have a dozen traps around the house. Most in
> the kitchen, pantry, and garage, where I saw them last. I haven't caught
> anything in them forever. And I put traps near all the registers, nothing
> there either.
> >
> > When I initially saw mice I put all the food in the pantry in glass or
> metal containers and I don't see any evidence in the pantry either. I don't
> think they're eating any of my food. If it weren't for the smell and the
> noise I wouldn't even know they're there. I have no idea what they are
> eating, but I assume they're not starving because they're still there.
> They're not touching ANY of the traps. It's like they've...learned. Can
> mice do that? That's disconcerting.
> >
> > I pulled off the registers. I figure I can drop glue traps down there,
> and snap traps if I'm really careful, but it's not like I'm just looking
> down at the sheetmetal of the duct--the registers seem to be attached to a
> piece of 3-inch tubing to the main duct. So while I can probably get traps
> in, I'm not sure I could get them out. To say nothing of cleaning the ducts
> themselves.
> >
> > The ducts are all behind finished drywall. So before I just demolish the
> drywall and disassemble my HVAC system, I thought I'd ask you guys for
> advice.
> >
> > The garage I can do the paint bucket with water and a log-roll type PVC
> tube. And poison.
> >
> > I don't have pets or small children at home so I'm not worried about
> collateral damage and I'm so filled with hatred that I'm not worried about
> being humane. I just want these little bastards gone.

nts.=C2=A0 Attach the other end to a nail or hook so you can pull it back o=
 class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Fri, Mar 20=
, 2020 at 6:03 PM Jim Franklin via Shop-talk &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:shop-tal=
ote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px=
 solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Glue traps - the mice will gnaw o=
ff their own leg(s) to escape, and possibly die in an inaccessible place. B=
esides, they&#39;re ffreakin cruel. <br>
Snap traps - only bait I&#39;ve had success with is peanut butter, and it h=
as never failed me. Enough that it will have a scent for a few days. Howeve=
r it will mold eventually and they seem to avoid that in my experience.<br>
I had some in my attic and could not catch them for love or money putting t=
raps in all the places they could possibly get in. They were living under t=
he 18&quot; of blown in insulation and I tried placing a board with an arra=
y of traps on top of the insulation. Then one day I added a good fresh wad =
of PB and bangbangbanbbang got &#39;em all, did another round, haven&#39;t =
heard any since. <br>
I use the ones with the fake cheese platform, it holds more peanut butter t=
han the metal one. If you do put them down the vents make sure it won&#39;t=
 slide out of reach when it trips. <br>
jim<br>
&gt; On Mar 20, 2020, at 6:48 PM, Scott Hall via Shop-talk &lt;<a href=3D"m=
ailto:shop-talk@autox.team.net" target=3D"_blank">shop-talk@autox.team.net<=
/a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Well, except that I can spend more time at home, I guess.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Overall question: how smart can a mouse actually be?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; So I noticed some mouse activity in the garage and the house. Put out =
glue traps and snap traps. Caught maybe five or six.=C2=A0 Haven&#39;t caug=
ht any in months.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; But a few days ago I smelled...mouse. At least I think that&#39;s the =
smell. Sort of sickly sweet, like Simple Green. I didn&#39;t see any droppi=
ngs. I was under a heat register when it kicked on, and the smell was very =
noticeable. Then, last night while I was in bed...I heard them. Scurrying i=
n the vents.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; There are mice in the vents.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Option 1) Burn the house down, claim insurance, rebuild.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Option 2) get them out of there, clean the vents.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Here&#39;s my dilemma: I must have a dozen traps around the house. Mos=
t in the kitchen, pantry, and garage, where I saw them last. I haven&#39;t =
caught anything in them forever. And I put traps near all the registers, no=
thing there either.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; When I initially saw mice I put all the food in the pantry in glass or=
 metal containers and I don&#39;t see any evidence in the pantry either. I =
don&#39;t think they&#39;re eating any of my food. If it weren&#39;t for th=
e smell and the noise I wouldn&#39;t even know they&#39;re there. I have no=
 idea what they are eating, but I assume they&#39;re not starving because t=
hey&#39;re still there. They&#39;re not touching ANY of the traps. It&#39;s=
 like they&#39;ve...learned. Can mice do that? That&#39;s disconcerting.<br=

&gt; <br>
&gt; I pulled off the registers. I figure I can drop glue traps down there,=
 and snap traps if I&#39;m really careful, but it&#39;s not like I&#39;m ju=
st looking down at the sheetmetal of the duct--the registers seem to be att=
ached to a piece of 3-inch tubing to the main duct. So while I can probably=
 get traps in, I&#39;m not sure I could get them out. To say nothing of cle=
aning the ducts themselves.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; The ducts are all behind finished drywall. So before I just demolish t=
he drywall and disassemble my HVAC system, I thought I&#39;d ask you guys f=
or advice.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; The garage I can do the paint bucket with water and a log-roll type PV=
C tube. And poison.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I don&#39;t have pets or small children at home so I&#39;m not worried=
 about collateral damage and I&#39;m so filled with hatred that I&#39;m not=
 worried about being humane. I just want these little bastards gone.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <a href=3D"mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">Shop-tal=
k@autox.team.net</a><br>
&gt; Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel=3D"noreferrer"=
 target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
&gt; Suggested annual donation=C2=A0 $12.96<br>
&gt; Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"no=
referrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank"=
>http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>