Re: [Shop-talk] Synth and conventional oil question (Time sensitive ques

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Synth and conventional oil question (Time sensitive question) and *free beer (or coffee)
From: Karl Vacek via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 19:59:55 -0500
Since you want the protection the factory recommends as a minimum, I'd use
full synthetic.

"Synthetic Blend" is a nebulous term for an undefined proportion of
conventional motor oil and synthetic motor oil.  Various brands use various
mixes, but all that I've ever been able to find out in terms of proportions
is that it's usually only a small proportion of synthetic oil in most,
probably not exceeding 20%.  Years ago I used Valvoline Synthetic blend, but
it was expensive.  Once I learned that their blend was no more than 20%
synthetic, I began to use 2 quarts synthetic to 3 quarts conventional at
every oil change.  It was cheaper than buying the blend, and I got twice as
much synthetic in the mix.

Since then synthetic oil prices have dropped significantly and conventional
oil prices have risen.  I've run nothing but Mobil One in all of my street
cars for years with no downside other than a little extra cost.

Karl