Re: [Shop-talk] annoying calls

To: john niolon <jniolon@att.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] annoying calls
From: Paul Parkanzky via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 14:35:41 -0400
Cc: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
The short of it is that there is nothing you can do that will be
effective. Don't answer. If you do answer (I have a number for my
business that I have to answer because I get legitimate calls from
people I don't know) then don't speak or press any buttons. Your
interaction makes your number more valuable and it will be sold/traded
to other shady marketers and scammers. There's almost no point in
blocking numbers because the 'good' scammers will never call you from
that number again.

The way to fix this is to stop number spoofing so that there will be
traceability/accountability for callers. This is technically very easy
but the telecom companies have no financial incentive to flip that
switch and this is a place where I feel like congress is failing us.

99.99% of these calls are either predatory or outright scams and they
cost everybody something (if not just annoyance and inconvenience) and
vulnerable people huge amounts of money. They could be all-but
eliminated with some good legislation requiring the telecoms to
prevent number spoofing and restricting anonymous calling.

/rant.

-Paul