Re: [Shop-talk] Cooling down an air conditioner

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cooling down an air conditioner
From: MattMahony <MattMahony@Comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 17:55:31 -0700
Bob:

The sprayer will work but if you have any mineral content in your water
supply the minerals will build up on the coil surface and cut down on
the heat transfer ability of the coils. Before you do that, try cleaning
the condenser coil. Most of the window units draw in outside air from
behind the condenser coil through louvers in the sides of the wrapper,
then push the air out the coil. You can't see the dirt on the inside.
Most also divert the evaporator condensate water to a slinger on the fan
blade so the condensate is evaporated on the coil and discharged in the
hot air stream. Provides a minimal efficiency increase.

The outside air drawn in contains dust, pollen, leaves and who knows
what. Do you have cottonwood trees in the neighborhood? They're the
worst.  After a few seasons that debris combines with the condensate
water to make a muddy paste that builds up in the fins and really cuts
down on the heat transfer. Use 409, Simple Green, or any mild detergent
in a sprayer, and then back flush with a garden hose, no spray nozzle.
You don't need high pressure and if you bend the fins over with  a high
pressure spray you'll have a fun job straightening them out.  First time
I did this, I was amazed at how much junk was in there.

Matt