Re: [Shop-talk] turning the end of a bolt.

To: "'shop-talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, "'Mike Rambour'" <lists@dinospider.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] turning the end of a bolt.
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 07:09:19 -0400
> I have had good results by nearly sawing through a matching nut (like a
> collet) and holding the bolt and nut in a three jaw chuck. The nut will
> protect the threads while you tighten the chuck. Accuracy will depend on
> the chuck.

Ditto, but I cut all the way through one corner of the nut, using a Dremel
tool and abrasive cutoff blade.  The nut deforms slightly under pressure
from the jaws to grip the bolt firmly, but then springs back to release it
once the jaws are released.

Save the nut for next time, it will also work in a vise for cross-drilling,
cutting to length, etc.

== Randall