[Shop-talk] Air compressor took a dump.

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Air compressor took a dump.
From: Dave Cavanaugh <cavanadd@frontier.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 19:27:50 -0700
This afternoon my air compressor locked up.  It's a two cylinder 60
gallon Campbell-Hausfield that I bought at HD about ten or twelve years
ago.  5 HP single phase, two cylinder, about 16 CFM at 90 PSI.  The
first time I heard the belt squealing so I flipped the breaker and got
the flywheel turning using a pipe wrench.  After a couple of rotations
it seemed pretty free so I blew it down and it started ok, but when it
came up to pressure and stopped the flywheel stopped dead; it didn't
coast to a stop, and when I tried to start it again it was locked up again.

It's not making any more noise that usual, it's just freezing up.  I
suspect something is getting hot and dragging.  I guess I'll pull the
pump in the next week or so and tear it down, but I'm tempted to just
order a new pump and call it good.  This is crappy timing because I'm in
the middle of a furniture commission and my little portable hot dog
compressor won't run my Dynabrades, plus I'm moving in about a year and
building a new shop, which will have a new 7.5 HP, two stage compressor.

Yes, there is oil in the sight glass; in fact I just changed the oil a
couple of months ago.  I used some 20 Wt ND I had on hand; probably
should have used Mobil One....but what color cap?

Advice, opinions, suggestions?
thanks
Dave