Re: [Shop-talk] chains vs snow tires

To: Tony Vaccaro <tvacc@lotusowners.com>, shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] chains vs snow tires
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 13:38:04 -0500

--Boundary_(ID_yCSAdw4l9BxY160H9igl1Q)

Tony,

I think it depends on where you live and how important it is that you
be able to drive through anything.  I am retired now, so my
requirements are different from critical hospital personnel.  In all
the years I spent commuting here in NY, the thing that hindered
travel the most was traffic.  Driving in a relatively hilly area with
substantial traffic volume meant there was always someone who
couldn't make it up a hill or bounced off a guard rail.  I always
tried to stay off the highways.  When traffic stopped there, you
could be stranded for hours.  On the secondary roads, you could at
least turn around and try a different route.

-Steve

At 01:16 PM 1/19/2016, Tony Vaccaro wrote:
>As far as not using snows on a Suburban or in my case a Nissan
>Pathfinder.  While the weight and the 4 wheel drive will get you out
>of most everything, there is no difference on ice. It is still just
>plain rubber on ice.
>
>I had a Suburban and now my Pathfinder. Driven both with and without
>snows. The difference with and without snows is quite remarkable.
>
>I am not saying that you cannot get along with not using snows on
>heavy 4 wheel drive vehicles, I have.  But the difference is quite amazing.
>
>My MINI S with snows was just amazing. I could zoom all over the
>place. Pass snow plow equipped turcks, Drive on streets with
>everyone else off the road in ditches.
>
>I honestly don't see why everyone does not get snows. Like I said,
>all it is just getting your second set of tires early. Of course the
>wheel cost is something to be considered but the damage done to my
>wheels with salt makes that also worthwhile.
>
>The insurance companies should give a discount to those that have
>snows on their cars.
>
>Tony V

--Boundary_(ID_yCSAdw4l9BxY160H9igl1Q)

Tony, <br><br>
I think it depends on where you live and how important it is that you be
able to drive through anything.&nbsp; I am retired now, so my
requirements are different from critical hospital personnel.&nbsp; In all
the years I spent commuting here in NY, the thing that hindered travel
the most was traffic.&nbsp; Driving in a relatively hilly area with
substantial traffic volume meant there was always someone who couldn't
make it up a hill or bounced off a guard rail.&nbsp; I always tried to
stay off the highways.&nbsp; When traffic stopped there, you could be
stranded for hours.&nbsp; On the secondary roads, you could at least turn
around and try a different route.&nbsp; <br><br>
-Steve<br><br>
At 01:16 PM 1/19/2016, Tony Vaccaro wrote:<br>
a Suburban or in my case a Nissan Pathfinder.&nbsp; While the weight and
the 4 wheel drive will get you out of most everything, there is no
difference on ice. It is still just plain rubber on ice. <br>
&nbsp;<br>
I had a Suburban and now my Pathfinder. Driven both with and without
snows. The difference with and without snows is quite remarkable.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
I am not saying that you cannot get along with not using snows on heavy 4
wheel drive vehicles, I have.&nbsp; But the difference is quite
amazing.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
My MINI S with snows was just amazing. I could zoom all over the place.
Pass snow plow equipped turcks, Drive on streets with everyone else off
the road in ditches. <br>
&nbsp;<br>
I honestly don?t see why everyone does not get snows. Like I said, all it
is just getting your second set of tires early. Of course the wheel cost
is something to be considered but the damage done to my wheels with salt
makes that also worthwhile.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
The insurance companies should give a discount to those that have snows
on their cars.<br>
&nbsp;<br>

--Boundary_(ID_yCSAdw4l9BxY160H9igl1Q)--

--===============7832759613782258409==

--===============7832759613782258409==--