Re: [Shop-talk] chains vs snow tires

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net> s=q20140121; t=1453225896; bh=50JNFpaZ267+eDn+IFDu6cjd8Kx9u0XdzmCDfxM5ECw=; h=Received:Received:Content-Type:Mime-Version:Subject:From:Date: Message-Id:To; b=UDgL0cHXNQ8sqUR0KAAcQaN6k9Da7aKUAdWVSNAH1UDZvPSPZOAdWNpl0WmZkmh8q uCeptRMPLtesxrz7wh4ZBEZjhNph8d8nKqpkGZdo8q3bHkFwmFqD1RxB8haE+DjCMo FbNH8Q+G5vYzzHtpSzZVR8F9cR36ABMovsN9/jpVp+8128vy4Py370ZFowfc122YyE Ez8QaJdhkbUochtXEil0X4JHKoC/jzOgV7XaLCGEnLIcahh1bmUBBXmBk4PqJkUDg/ 17LUFUbvK7BNAtzAOeuq0dVoi3DYnqmLvbUJGOSCzoPfgiPY0lK+0rCt3bICfo3LkP wbMTksn9Mp6JA==
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] chains vs snow tires
From: Brian Kennedy <kennedybc@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 09:51:37 -0800
I grew up driving the backroads of Michigan in a '50 Ford. Snow tires meant
just that, they worked well in snow. Only chains worked well on ice but are a
hassle. Nowadays, all seasons work very great with all wheel drive. I now spend
some time in Oregon and occasionally go to the mountains. I have all wheel
drive, but I'd never want to be caught on an icy slick mountain road without
chains. Chains are pretty cheap. With my '96 F150 limited slip, a few 40 lb
bags of salt in the back does pretty well. My thought would b to put lots of
weight in the back and carry chains until your tires need replacing, then I'd
buy snows. As I recall, the way snow tires work is the snow gets lodged in the
grooves and the real traction is snow to snow.
Brian K.