Re: [Shop-talk] Next question: what the $%^& is this thing?

Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Next question: what the $%^& is this thing?
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 09:19:21 -0700
Cc: <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
> But why would you fuse a washer circuit. I don't know those
> to pull a lot
> of power.

Some washing machines (especially older ones, newer ones not so much) draw a
lot of extra power when they are starting up
(especially the spin cycle).  So that would have been a "slow blow" fuse, able
to handle a momentary overload without blowing,
dedicated to the washing machine.  It may not have had a dedicated circuit back
at the original main fuse panel.

Lessee, must've been about 1963, my folks were renting a house that had a fuse
like that just for the washing machine.  It would
sometimes blow when Mom tried to wash too many clothes in one load (according
to my Dad).

-- Randall