Re: [Shop-talk] Next question: what the $%^& is this thing?

To: "'Scott Hall'" <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>, <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Next question: what the $%^& is this thing?
From: "Pat Horne" <pat@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 09:49:32 -0500
Looks like a fused disconnect to me. I'd replace or remove it.

Is that circuit fused/or a breaker before it gets to this box? If so, there
is no need for it.
If there is no fuse or breaker, then a fuse or breaker is needed. I'd get a
small, breaker box and put it in if that is the case.
Since this for a 220v circuit, you should not use fuses, but a double
breaker so that if one side trips the other will trip also.
What is the gauge of the wire? It looks to be too small to run a drier on.
Mist driers are on 8 ga. Wire. If this is smaller than that you should
Replace the wire back to the breaker panel with larger wire.
Also, there does not appear to be a ground wire in this box. For safety you
need a ground wire for any 220v device.

Peace,
Pat