[Shop-talk] Air compressor--really worth the extra money?

To: "Shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Air compressor--really worth the extra money?
From: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 10:43:37 -0400
Setting up the new garage, was planning to buy a Quincy compressor (want to
buy it once and be done).

They're expensive, but if I only have to buy it once...

But I was in Harbor Freight yesterday--they've got what I'm sure is their
usual two-stage Chinese whatever for $599. I'm sure it won't keep up with a
blaster, but for that price I could dang near buy two of them and still be
less than half of a Quincy unit.

Anyone have a Harbor Freight compressor and can talk about the quality? If
it's just a name thing, and I'll get ten years out of a H-F unit, I might
just consider it. If I'm going to have to screw with it more than once a
year then I'll spend the extra money on the high-dollar one.

I suppose if it lasts ten years, I could buy one each ten years and still
be under the cost of a Quincy.

Or should I revisit this and consider IR units again, etc.?

Thanks guys.