Re: [Shop-talk] tripod mower traction issue. (I'm fixing it in my shop!)

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] tripod mower traction issue. (I'm fixing it in my shop!)
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 15:21:30 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 11 May 2015, eric@megageek.com wrote:
> Can anyone explain why it can go in reverse up a hill but not in forward?
> (and yes, the bar tires were mounted in the proper direction.)

    As previously noted, weight transfer to the undriven wheel.

> Is there something I can do to fix this issue?   More or less weight in
> the rear, or elsewhere?   Is there a tire out there with spikes in it or
> something?

    If anything, add weight to the front, not the rear.

    I have no idea if there are off-the-shelf spike tires available, but
they are easy enough to make, especially for low-speed operation.  We make
tires for ice-racing all the time, and they see far more abuse than
anything that plowmower could dish out ( ie, 100mph, 1+ lateral G ).  The
only problem might be if you are plowing asphalt that is in good shape,
and you'd like to keep it that way.  Metal tires might leave some marks.

--
  David Hillman