Re: [Shop-talk] tripod mower traction issue. (I'm fixing it in my shop!)

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] tripod mower traction issue. (I'm fixing it in my shop!)
From: John Innis <jdinnis@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 08:59:56 -0500
Cc: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
That mower looks a lot like a Grasshopper design.  Not sure if it is a
re-braneded Grasshopper or just a similar design, but on my mower there is
a "traction kit" that transfers some of the deck weight to the drive
wheels.  Ir works similar to the way a weight distributing hitch works on a
truck.  A series of arms, chains and springs lift the deck from a pivot
point near the drive wheels.  Here is a link to the system from
grasshopper.  You might be able to adapt their system or invent your own.

http://www.the-mower-shop-inc.com/718k-720k-725k_1997_traction_kit.aspx

The bracket (#2 in the figure) is mounted just in front of the drive
wheels.   The lever arm is pulled be the spring from the rear and attached
to the deck via the chain at the front.   This figure shows the version for
the smaller decks.  FOr larger decks the system is upgraded as shown here:

http://www.the-mower-shop-inc.com/9861_2001_traction_kit_adapter.aspx

Hope this helps!