Re: [Shop-talk] tripod mower traction issue. (I'm fixing it in my shop!)

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] tripod mower traction issue. (I'm fixing it in my shop!)
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 09:04:33 -0700
> Here is the bugger of the issue,   It will climb up the
> steepest of my
> hills, IN REVERSE.  So, I know this is a problem with the
> weighting or
> something.
>
> The unit has the ability to add or remove weight over the
> rear 'tripod'
> wheel.  I've tried it with and without weight with limited success.

You need more weight on the drive wheels, not at the rear.  When going uphill
forward, the weight of the engine (and you) gets
transferred to the rear wheel and lets the front ones slip.  One alternative
might be to partially fill them with water (plus
antifreeze) or something like this http://www.rimguard.biz/

I'm not sure if that would be enough, but it might be a cheap experiment to see
if it improves the situation.  You should be able to
find the adapter to connect a garden hose at Tractor Supply or similar.

-- Randall