[Shop-talk] A couple of dozen

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Shop-talk] A couple of dozen
From: Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 15:21:04 -0600
April, 1991. Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston had top hits. The Soviet Union is
crumbling.
The Gulf War begins. And on the 11th the domain Team.Net is registered.

Happy birthday to us, 24 years and still kicking. Formed out of the Usenet
rec.autos tree,
it started with just 2 lists, autox and british-cars. It became large enough
and busy enough
that the officials at the U noticed that a large amount of network traffic was
coming from one
certain machine in my office. That is what prompted the move to a private
server, which has been
in my basement for many years. Well, we are NOT running on the same server from
back then, which I
recall was one of the first 120 Megahertz systems in the valley outside of
universities. With the
CS departments work with Hewlett-Packard, I had a connection.

A lot has changed over the years, folks have come and gone, some have been
hanging out here for
decades. We've lost a few good ones, but many of us have found lasting
friendships from list
communications. Back in the early days there wasn't much besides Team.Net. I
think the 1997
SCCA Solo II nationals had something like 60% of the entrants being autox list
subscribers.
Those were the days.

But still here, still providing a valuable service to those who use it.  Thanks
to all of us
for making Team.Net what it is.

Happy Birthday.

mjb.