Re: [Shop-talk] 4-post lift thoughts

To: Brad Kahler <bkahler1@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] 4-post lift thoughts
From: Paul Parkanzky <parkanzky@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 08:23:26 -0500
Cc: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Hi Brad,

On Saturday, we reassembled my four post hydraulic over cable lift (Direct
Lift Pro Park) because we moved to a new home.  Mine came with the trays,
but since none of the cars I've ever stored up there have leaked anything
I've never even taken them out of the box they came in.  I think that the
important thing about the trays is that they are "trays" and not "sheets."
 So if something does leak onto them they would collect it instead of it
just finding an edge and dripping down somewhere else.

If all you want are leak trays and you are building them, then what I'd do
is make them wide enough to span your lift platforms.  Then you don't need
any sort of rail.  Your car tires likely don't end up at the inside edges
of the platforms, so you should still be able to park on them.  I wouldn't
build them out of plywood or anything else absorbent and I'd make sure that
they sit on the platforms or rails, but then drop down in-between to form a
place to collect fluids.

Good Luck,

-Paul