Re: [Shop-talk] Garage door opener problem

To: Dave Cavanaugh <cavanadd@frontier.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Garage door opener problem
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 21:20:18 -0500
Cc: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 8:31 PM, Dave Cavanaugh <cavanadd@frontier.com> wrote:
> I have a pair of Chamberlain PD200 openers in the garage.  They are about 15
> years old and until just recently have been flawless. Lately the one on my
> wife's side (naturally) has gotten flaky.  As soon as you push the button to
> close it, it reverses and the light flashes.  Opening is normal.  If you
> hold the wall mounted (hardwired) button down it will close and stay down,
> but it will no longer close with the clicker.  When the problem first
> started the door would partially close before reversing, but now it doesn't
> even move.
>
> I adjusted the photocells, lubricated everything, and adjusted the
> sensitivity pots and turned the open and close distance pots through a few
> turns.  For a few cycles it worked ok and then reverted to it's bad
> behavior.  I called the local residential/commercial GDO business, who also
> installed the opener in my shop a few years ago. I wasn't here, but
> according to my wife he lubricated everything with "something heavier than
> WD40", "adjusted" it and left.  It worked for a week.  I looked yesterday
> and he had turned the sensitivity pots all the way up to 11.  So, $100 down
> the toilet.

Pull the cord to release the door.  Make sure it works right, your
problem could easily be a broken spring, a jammed roller, a bent track
or the like.  (Yes, I've see a broken door cause "one opener doesn't
work, the other does", more than once.)  Assuming the door is fine,
train your remote to open your wife's opener, and see if that makes a
difference.  If it does, change the battery in hers, train it to your
door, and call it day.  If it doesn't, go buy a new one.  I'm pretty
sure chamberlain are using the same mounting setup they have for many
years, so that it's a breeze to replace just the head.

If your door is broken, call another company to fix it.  And check the
other side, it may be failing the same way.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com