Re: [Shop-talk] Fwd: Re: Well water hammer?

To: shop-talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Fwd: Re: Well water hammer?
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 14:45:14 -0400
On Aug 26, 2014, at 2:01 PM, Randall wrote:

>> You need to check the Schrader value with the tank empty of water and no
>> pressure on the water side (drain open).  With the tank empty of water
>> there still should be some pressure on the air side of the bladder,
>> can't remember the amount.
>
> Another, less scientific approach, is to just close off the inlet and open
an outlet where you can see it.  Wait until the flow stops, then add a little
air.  If you get some more flow out, add a little more air.  Repeat until the
extra air doesn't dispel any water.  That will still be less than it should
have, but enough to prevent water hammer and rapid cycling.

What's causing the water hammer? I've never heard of it when something turns
_on_.

jim