Re: [Shop-talk] Cell phone signal boosters

To: Shop-Talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net> FILETIME=[AB9758C0:01CFAB36]
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cell phone signal boosters
From: James Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 10:09:08 -0400
Thanks guys.  I do have broadband, and have looked at both the ATT and Verizon
microcells. I want something that will work across both (as neither my wife
nor I can switch carriers for a while) and will look at the zBoost and Wilson
amplifiers.  Id looked at them earlier, but wanted to be sure they actually
worked.  I figured Id find the answer here, and obviously have.
Thanks again!
Jim

On Jul 28, 2014, at 9:31 PM, Peter Murray <peterwmurray@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have the ATT MicroCell. It also requires broadband (I have a cablemodem).
> It has worked really well for us for over 2 years now, and given your house
> is under 1000 sq feet, it would cover your entire house without difficulty.
>
> It will only provide coverage to ATT phones that you specifically add to an
> access list. I bought mine on eBay for much less than the ATT retail price
> of $200.
>
> I should have gone with the zBoost John suggested (or Wilson DB Pro or
> other 2-way amplifier). It is carrier-agnostic (though you will want to
> ensure it operates in the band(s) that your phones require. You could need
> 850MHz, 1900MHz, or one of several LTE bands. All depends on where your
> house is located. If you are using wi-fi at your house, you shouldn't be
> impacted by any 3G speed limitation that might be present in the amplifier.
>
> -Peter
>

> On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 1:30 PM, Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I have the Verizon version.  They call it a network extender.  You have to
>> have broadband service through your cable TV or FIOS or whatever.  The
>> device plugs into your broadband and basically acts as a mini cell site
for
>> your house, sending the calls over the internet.  I am pretty happy with
>> it.  Cell phone works much better now.  It requires a GPS signal, so the
>> network extender must be located somewhere where that is possible.  The
GPS
>> antenna can be a few feet away, but you can't put it someplace like the
>> basement.  Verizon charges you once for the device and doesn't charge any
>> monthly fee, which is good.  I found that when I called to complain about
>> my cell service, they did some checks and ultimately offered me the
network
>> extender at a considerable discount.  I don't think it will help you with
>> your AT&T phone, though.
>>
>> -Steve Trovato
>> strovato@optonline.net
>>

>> At 12:55 PM 7/28/2014, James Stone wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone here know anything about cell phone signal boosters?  Cell
>>> phone
>>> coverage is pretty weak at our new place and I need to do something to
>>> boost
>>> it. Unfortunately, my wife has Verizon and I have AT&T and neither of us