[Shop-talk] Computer sound problem

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Computer sound problem
From: Dave Cavanaugh <cavanadd@frontier.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2014 19:03:36 -0700
Last year I assembled a budget tower system from Newegg to replace an
aging HP system with a bad HDD.  I would provide a link to the
motherboard but for some reason Newegg won't let me see my 2013 order
history.  It will show 2012 and 14 just fine but not 2013...

Anyway, the sound quit.  The little speaker icon in the lower right hand
corner of the screen (Win 7) has a red and white x on it and when you
put the mouse pointer it says the headphones or speakers are not plugged
in, which they are.  I have tried two different sets of speakers through
both the front and rear jacks.  I even bought a little USB dongle with
speaker and mic jacks on the front, but that doesn't work, either.
Should I get a cheap sound card and try that?  Any other suggestions?
This is an inexpensive motherboard with all the sound, video, etc, all
on the main board.  This is the first time I have messed around with
computer guts since the old XT/AT days when you got add-on cards for
just about everything.

Another feature is an annoying scan line that goes up across the display
about every two seconds or so.  It's not real obvious, but annoying.

And no, I can't find the documentation from the computer stuff. Only
that it was some kind of AMD quad core processor.  I can find ALL of the
documentation for the Seequa Chameleon I bought in 1982, but not for the
computer I bought last year...

Thanks
Dave