Re: [Shop-talk] Cell phone boosters

To: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net> N0YTnYHD6O6/PKbL8dNsQAFRkLwgRCQc/F7VjO9JfCu8WiDBcO TCLWKrcC2m8+2kTwm/X7M0ztJgDX8OlD4CZhvkGKAxGg5WrXx6 kSN+NY5CrCDsmMt/aoLN0GKlP/kpdrjFzASlaJ3QSh7JAY6fDm XnUfYQ7V/IQEb4v1zaZ9EJ+J7z7Szh4YcgxTIgbwhkbmgNezcA w4BWCiwPEnrO1qFa+n23YX45jHw/Er2EtqWJDu1RwH27tAOcxi eOj4mjgFxmDT/XZYxCMOADm4xQqCb5lBMaodFAzrFPweA4SY+y whrprADJ4w2iBuLgHXp7YwnLrBi7S/i8J2+dsd0FdNULCx9eA4 EvKswK8qUD1gQ==
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cell phone boosters
From: Tim Hoerning <tim@chenhoerning.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 10:30:53 -0500
Cc: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Verizon needs a GPS because the radio transmission format  they use (CDMA2000
1xRTT) requires all cell sites (including your samsung micro-cell) to be
synchronized. The GPS signal is being used for timing, not position.

I've never used one of these extender products, but have used a number of
Wilson products and can recommend them.

    Tim

Sent from my Commodore 64 over a 300 baud modem

> On Jan 10, 2014, at 10:35 PM, Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
wrote:

> At my house, the Verizon signal used to be good enough, but something
changed and it got worse.  I ended  up getting a Samsung Network Extender
through Verizon.  This connects to my broadband router, and creates a mini
cell site just for me.  I have found that it is a big improvement.  If I
relocate the device to a more central spot in my house, I'm sure it will be
even better.  For this device, you have to have broadband service and it needs
a GPS signal.  This means it has to be located near a window or you have to
use the remote GPS antenna.  I can't tell you why exactly it needs a GPS
signal, but it does.  And it's not just needed at setup time.  If it loses the
signal it eventually starts to complain.  The only other issue is the price,
but I complained enough to Verizon that they offered it to me for $100.  It
was listed as "refurbished" but it looked brand new to me.  Here it is:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/samsung-network-extender-scs-2u01/