Re: [Shop-talk] Cell phone boosters

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cell phone boosters
From: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 20:08:32 -0600
We have similar issues at our new place, but we only have to worry about
Verizon. I did some research and ended up getting a Wilson DB Pro through
Amazon. It was around $340. Not cheap, but it works. It consists of a 13 db
gain very directional antenna that I mounted on top of 25 feet of mast.
That attaches to an amp where drives a hemispherical flat panel indoor
antenna.

The first thing I did was call Verizon tech support and find out the
closest Verizon towers to our place. and figured out the relative compass
headings. Once we get settled I plan to put the outside antenna up at
around 50 feet. That should improve things quite a bit.

In your situation, you may get lucky and either be able to use an
omnidirectional outside antenna, if both AT&T and Verizon have towers close
enough to you. More likely they won't be so close and they'll be in
different directions (Murphy rears his ugly head) and you'll need separate
setups with directional antennas for each provider.

We're dealing with small, relatively cheap radios here with non-optimal
antennas and the frequencies they operate at aren't good for going through
hills and around buildings. That's just the nature of the beast.

FWIW,
Ron