Re: [Shop-talk] Tapping off a crimp connector?

To: "'Shop Talk List'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Tapping off a crimp connector?
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 21:08:18 -0800
> Ignore the cheap tools - the crimp, cut wires, and cut bolts
> to the proper
> length (the cheap tool).

BTW, the referenced web site had a photo of a perfectly crimped connector, with
obvious air gaps between the wire strands.  It
doesn't always work.

I also seriously doubt that it is possible to get that kind of deformation,
when crimping through the common plastic insulation.

So, you can go spend $500+ on the fancy crimp machine, and wire, and
connectors.  Don't forget that the tool has to be periodically
calibrated and a different tool is required for every combination of wire size
and terminal size.

Or use my method with the cheap terminals, cheap tools, and a $50 solder gun.
(All of which can be bought locally on a Saturday
afternoon.)  I've been doing it that way for 30 years, and haven't had a
failure yet.

BTW, no one has mentioned what do you do when the wire you have to work with
(eg original British wiring harness) is not an AWG wire
size?  Where is your wire-specific crimper then?

Randall