Re: [Shop-talk] led flashlight troubleshooting

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] led flashlight troubleshooting
From: Jimmie Mayfield <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 13:29:57 -0500
On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 04:11:00PM -0600, John Niolon wrote:
> recently bought 4 of these little led flashlights and was well pleased...
>
> http://www.amazon.com/BBQbuy-300lm-Flas ... flashlight

For some reason my email client munched on the URL so I couldn't look
at the lights in question but the first thing to check (after polarity, etc)
is that the various pieces that screw together are making good electrical
contact since most flashlight designs use the body as one of the conductors.

Unscrew everything, and rub the ends back and forth a few times on some 320
grit sandpaper then use some steel wool to lightly scuff up the threads.
That'll give you good electrical contact when everything is screwed back
together.

Another thing to check is that the leads to the LED weren't severed when the
reflector was installed at the factory.  This happened with a couple
flashlights I bought off ebay.  It's a simple fix if you have a soldering iron
and some ~18-20ga wire.

--
Jimmie Mayfield
http://www.sackheads.org/jimmie         email: jimmie+shoptalk@sackheads.org