Re: [Shop-talk] HF Predator engines

To: Mark <mark@nashvilletn.org>, Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] HF Predator engines
From: old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 08:47:40 -0800 (PST)
Guys,

I know that B&S carbs are very simple devices and should be easy to
repair, but how much could a replacement carb cost in comparison to replacing
the engine?  Here is a new one for $25 (probably not the one you need, but it
gives an idea):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/230961079704?lpid=82

With the
advent of synthetic oil, it is very hard to wear out one of these engines if
the oil is changed yearly and the air filter is in place and tight.

It also
would be nice to have a complete, new carb on hand for comparison.  It
probably also would be fitted with seals that are designed for alcohol laden
gasoline.  In the spirit of "shop talk,"I think I first might try putting in a
gas shut-off valve and a new carb.

best,

doug
'72 BSA