Re: [Shop-talk] Nuts and Bolts

To: "'shop-talk@autox.team.net'" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Nuts and Bolts
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 18:23:41 -0700
> Here's a question for discussion...What do you do with all
> the old nuts and bolts you collect?

For the largest portion of them (in standard shapes & sizes), I sort them
out into drawers.  I've got several shelves full of metal drawers salvaged
from a previous employer who was closing a business area; plus quite a few
of the smaller cabinets with the plastic drawers.

Then some of the oddball stuff is in coffee cans, sorted roughly by where it
came from.  At some level though, I just throw them away.  The odds of my
ever needed the funky threaded peg for the shift linkage on a POS car that
blew up 10 years ago just aren't high enough to merit keeping it; even
though it would be difficult to replace if I ever did need one.

I've got "Screw to Win", and I might take Carroll's advice if I only ever
built race cars.  But when I'm just replacing the leg on the BBQ grille,
Grade 5 is a waste and I'm more interested in not having to make a trip to
the hardware store to find that M6x1x64 screw that fits.  ISTR that
somewhere towards the back of the book, he also admits that high tensile
isn't always necessary.

-- Randall