Re: [Shop-talk] Toughest EE question ever asked here.

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Toughest EE question ever asked here.
From: Scott <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 15:12:40 -0400
Yeah, the only good answer for this I've ever seen is to replace the
system with one that can deal with phones. When my firm built a new
office they went with fey fobs that could handle phones just fine.

Of course they couldn't stay functional on their own for more than a day
or two at a clip, but when they worked, phones were no problem.

Of all the systems at clients' offices I've ever seen, it seems to be
just as arbitrary--some are rock solid and will work no matter what, all
the time, such that I wonder if they doors are just on a generic
proximity sensor and the cards are just placebos, while others might
work once, if that.

My solution is to do away with the things unless you really do happen to
work in an industry that needs them. They're one of those 'progress'
things and feels more like regression. An architectural firm doesn't
have any state secrets in its file room, much less its foyer.