Re: [Shop-talk] Did I kill my mower?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Did I kill my mower?
From: Todd Walke <racertod@racertodd.com> localhost.scooter.p.blarg.net
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 19:57:55 -0700
         I wonder if an oil analysis would be of help in determining the
condition of the engine.

         If it seems to run OK, put several hours on it first.  Then pull
an oil sample and send it to a lab.  If the wear metals are higher than
normal, that would show that internal damage has been done.

         I use Blackstone Labs (http://www.blackstone-labs.com)to analyze
the oil in my cars.  They'll send you a sample kit for free, you pay the
$25 fee when you send it in.  On the sample slip, you can give some details
of the gas-in-the-oilpan situation so they know what to look for.

         Also, try contacting them first.  They likely have dealt with
similar situations and can advise you on how many hours to put on the
engine before pulling a sample or if you should do anything else first.

         If they've done tests on that engine type in the past, they'll
have average numbers for that motor.  Those can be compared to your
sample.  My test reports show averages for both my engine and universal
averages for my version of the TDI motor.

Todd
Seattle,WA
'86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 276,000 miles
'01 Golf TDI, silver.   (new work car)       401,000 miles
'87 Golf, Polar Silver. (retired work car)   654,000 miles <- Gone to a new
home :(
http://www.pureluckdesign.com <-Ferrari & VW stuff