Re: [Shop-talk] camry hybrids

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] camry hybrids
From: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 13:25:00 -0600
All too often people will buy a vehicle "to save money" but they don't
calculate the real total cost of owning and driving. We have an '05 Accord
LX 4-door with 196K on it.. Our commute is 75-80 miles per day, mostly
rural highway, and we get 27 to 28 mpg. On trips up to DFW or to the San
Antonio area we'll usualy get around 30 while on cross country trips it's
not unusual to get 33+. The car's in really good shape and long paid for so
while a new ride with better mileage is tempting, dollar wise it doesn't
make sense when a $400/$500 payment is included, even getting 40 mpg.

I think it's more or less the same idea with the '02 Suburban we bought
last summer. We're the second owners and got it for $7200. Heck of a lot
cheaper that $45K for a new one! Even at 17 or 18 mpg we're better off
taking the Suburban instead of two high 20 mpg cars if we'll all fit in it.
If the kids get too rowdy thre's always the roof rack! It's also got the
full towing package with 3.73 gears so it'll handle a car hauler or travel
trailer pretty well, too. Even if I had to rebuild the engine and trans
(which I doubt, they're in great shape) I'm still way ahead compared to a
new one.

All that said, drive what you want for reasons that satisfy you, not
someone else. For fun driving I hop in my Datsun 2000 and soon I'll add a
couple of 510s.

Just sayin'
Ron