Re: [Shop-talk] camry hybrids

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] camry hybrids
From: Mike Rambour <lists@dinospider.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 08:47:39 -0800
  Hybrids are nice, a friend owns a Prius and while there was nothing
wrong his 3 year old one, he traded it in on a new one a month ago. He
wanted the "cooler" that tries to keep the interior cool while the car
is parked at work, some kind of fan that exhausts the hot air.  That was
it, that is why he traded in his 3 year old car.  He gets great mileage
with the car and brags about it all the time, he works 6 miles from home
and drives about 7,000 miles a year based on the mileage of his trade
in.  If you amortize the cost of the car, the MPG costs get pretty high.

  But they are NOT for me!

  I firmly believe life is too short to not drive the car you want, I
get 14MPG when I am lucky and if I didn't need to hear that 3.6l V8
screaming at 8,000RPM inches behind me, I might get better mileage but I
can't stop listening to it.  When my friend drives with me, we get to
work with huge smiles and start off the workday with a smile, no matter
how bad a day I had at work, just walking out to the parking lot and
seeing my car lifts my spirits, fire it up and my smile is back.   We
don't have that smile in his car.  When my wife first drove my car to
her work (local high school) she said it was surprising to her how much
more she enjoyed the drive both to work and then home.  But she does not
drive it to work often, the kids pay too much attention to the car and
she is afraid it will get scratched if she pisses one of them off, so
she only drives it work maybe 2-3 times a month.

  A Prius and other hybrids are get from point-a to point-b appliances
but life is too short for that type of living, life is all about getting
to point-b from point-a via point-c and maybe even point-d.    I am a
15,000-20,000 miles per year kind of guy, it may be 6 miles to work, but
its often 40+ miles over the mountain roads to get home and then there
is the weekends :)

  To each his own, some people are all about the maximum MPG no matter
what the initial cost of the car is, others are all about the maximum
SPG (smiles per gallon).

   Mike