Re: [Shop-talk] camry hybrids

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] camry hybrids
From: Scott <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 08:16:41 -0800
I love hybrids--both the concept and Toyota's execution of them.

Having said that...I second the advice about looking at non-hybrids.
Several co-workers have various hybrids and I suspect the advertised
m.p.g. claims aren't being reached.

I wanted a Pruis, and my plan was to get one from the dealer for a test
drive and drive it a week to see what kind of mileage I got on my
commute, but Toyota isn't Acura et al and won't let you keep one that long.

Mileage is obviously highly dependent on personal driving habits, but I
think that's even more a factor for a Toyota-style hybrid. So long as
you accelerate gently enough and stay below a certain speed, the
electric motor is supposed to power the whole car. I'm sure there's a
certain amount of driver training you'll do to yourself, but you also
have to account for hills and traffic on your commute, and the best way
to see is to just drive one over the route several times and...see.

Anyway, one co-worker insists she gets 50+ m.p.g., but her husband says
she's putting gas in the tank at about the same rate as when she owned a
Civic, according to the credit card statements. A few admit to
disappointment on mileage, but that could be a factor of missed
(unrealistic) expectations, and the mileage could still be very good.
The Camry hybrid and Priuses I got as rentals didn't impress me, but I
drove them like a regular car, I wasn't on my daily commute, and I think
I remember reading that hybrids 'learn' your driving somewhat, which
would be messed up in a rental.

I ended up not buying a hybrid. Dunno, just some thoughts. And if you
get one, let us know what sort of mileage you get, would you?

Oh, and my neighbor converted a Pruis into a plug-in hybrid and has
decals all over it that say 100 m.p.g. I've got the web site written
down somewhere if you buy the Camry and want to check it out. I'd
imagine if anyone knew how to get those things to make excellent mileage
it'd be him.