Re: [Shop-talk] Garage Sound system

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, Bob Nogueira <bob@texmog.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Garage Sound system
From: <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 18:38:55 +0000
> My Question is what gauge wire will I need to cover the  30 b40 ft.
between
> the computer and amp?

If you use the speaker output from the PC, and a "line in" connection on the
amp, then almost anything will do.  Even 24 AWG will only add about 2 ohms DC
resistance, which is negligible compared to the ~10k ohm "line in".  And the
low output impedance should keep it from picking up any hum or coupling from
other wires.  (Assuming you aren't looking for concert hall realism here, just
background noise while you work <g>)

If hum or noise pickup does prove to be a problem, either re-route the wire or
use something shielded.

-- Randall