Re: [Shop-talk] Dead PC

To: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Dead PC
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 02:05:58 -0400
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
I have the identical Thermaltake tester, and it seems to work well. I
use it in conjunction with the trusty Fluke 117 to make sure things are
good.

The negative 5 volt line is OK. Those were deprecated some years ago,
and are usually not on newer power supplies. If you want all the gory
details, punch up ATX on wikipedia. It sounds like your PSU is OK. Which
sucks, because that would be the easy fix.

If you've never installed or swapped a mobo, it can be a little hairy.
You have to properly configure all the BIOS settings, and lay down the
heat sink grease on the CPU properly, and not zap anything with static.
Assuming you're running Windoze? It will freak out if you put in a
different mobo. Easiest fix would be to try to find an identical board
on Ebay. Or, if your PC is on the older side, might just be time to
upgrade. Current tech like DDR3 memory is dirt cheap, while stuff for
older hardware is NOT.

My current work & home standard and favorite machine, though it's
getting elderly at this point, is a Dell Precision 390. They were high
end engineering workstations 5 or 6 years ago, with a Core 2 Duo CPU. I
don't do video games or CAD/CAM, so they're plenty fast for me. You can
score them on Ebay, sometimes for under $200. I do custom builds too
(VortexBox media server) and have -- crikey (?!) -- 5 PCs around at the
home at the moment.

-Wayne