Re: [Shop-talk] Dead PC

To: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Dead PC
From: Fred Katz <roadster@astound.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 19:52:24 -0700
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
My neighbor had the same problem, brought his PC to me to troubleshoot. He
also had his PC plugged into a surge protector, but the PC died. Power supply
seemed dead, I recommended he buy another. Then he read somewhere about a fix.
Plug the power cord in with electricity going to the PC. Then pull the power
supply cable from the motherboard socket, wait a few seconds and reconnect the
power supply cable to the motherboard. I told him that is supposedly dangerous
and is exactly what you're not supposed to do. We did it, and his PC came back
to life. Happened  to him again a few weeks later, and the "fix" worked again.
However, he did take my advice and bought a new power supply.

Fred -