[Shop-talk] car hauler tralier advise.

Subject: [Shop-talk] car hauler tralier advise.
From: jdinnis at gmail.com (John Innis)
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 20:06:39 -0500
I bought a Dressen 16' steel car hauler new about 10 years ago.  It is made
from 4" channel with 4" angle welded to the top and 4" channel cross
members.  It has 1x8 solid wood decking.  I was worried about that
initially, but it has not warped at all.  The angle over channel
arrangement means that there is about a 2" lip of ange above the deck of
the trailer.  I like this because it gives me a good place to attache
tie-downs to without cluttering the deck.  It also provides a solid place
to wedge non-automotive cargo against.

The trailer sits on 2 5000# torsion axles and has electric brakes on both
axles. I recommend the dual axle trailer, mostly because it will tow better
than single.  It is not nearly as sensitive to toung weight as a single
axle is.  I have put almost 2000# just behind the axles and it dis not sway
at all.  I also recommend brakes on both axles, as it will stop a lot
better ans is required in some states.

The trailer came with stake pockets, and I added 9 D-rings.  It has slide
under ramps mounted out the rear.  I also added a spare tire carrier.  I
have been very happy with this trailer, my only complaint being the
wiring.  They used a frame ground, which I hate.  They also used a
pop-rivet to attach the ground wire to the frame.  It worked fine for about
8 years, then all the grounds were corroded to the point that nothing
worked.   I rewired it with separate ground wires and it is back in
business now.  I paid just over $3k for this unit about 10 years ago and
feel like I have more than gotten my money's worth out of it.