[Shop-talk] OT hep with ants PLEASE

Subject: [Shop-talk] OT hep with ants PLEASE
From: wmc_st at xxiii.com (Wayne)
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 22:48:02 -0400
On 5/13/2012 6:20 PM, Tim wrote:
> I have half a dozen or more ant 'hills' in my back yard; a yard that is
> only about 75x100 feet at best. They are about a half inch and black. I
> may have seen a white spot on the back end of one of the colony's

If they're that bad, call an exterminator. There are probably a lot more
than what you can see! When I lived in Ohio, the bugs (like summer
mosquitoes) were just annoying. 11 years now in North Caroline on
heavily wooded land, they're BAD if you don't put down some heavy duty
stuff to whack them!

The exterminators around here typically want you to sign up for an
annual contract or plan for four applications a year. I pay $250/annual
for it. Most common is an insecticide "Talstar" they is sprayed up the
exterior foundation and walls, and 10 or so feet out into the yard. You
can buy and apply it yourself, unlike some more heavily regulated
chemicals. The local Southern States Store has it for $35/qt or you can
order from Amazon. But as pricey as it is, I'm willing to pay to let
someone else handle the toxic stuff!

It's been highly effective at keeping spiders, ants, gnats, etc out of
the house and substantially reducing them outside.

-Wayne