[Shop-talk] getting a lift out of a truck.

Subject: [Shop-talk] getting a lift out of a truck.
From: markmiller at threeboysfarm.com (Mark Miller)
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 21:52:00 -0700
<<<

Ok gang, I am way short on garage space and I am considering buying a 4-post
storage/service lift to ease the congestion.  My biggest concern is how to
deal with getting the lift shipped to the house.  Most of the lifts I have
looked at state that they are too large/heavy for a liftgate.  To complicate
matters there is no way to get a semi-truck to the house.  I know a medium
sized straight truck can make the turn around, but that is about as big as I
can accommodate.  Anyone have any experience with this?

Options?

When I got mine delivered it was in a 24' truck, not a semi, with no
liftgate (wouldn't have helped much anyway).  I had a stack of pallets
available and an anchor point (the hitch of a pickup).  Tied the bundle to
the hitch, stuck a stack of pallets behind the big truck and pulled it
forward about half the length of the lift package.  Put another stack of
pallets at the tailgate and did it again.  One more time just before the
load came out and the lift ended up on top of the three pallet stacks.
Easier than it sounds.

Mark Miller