[Shop-talk] Running power to the shop

Subject: [Shop-talk] Running power to the shop
From: doug at dougbraun.com (Doug Braun)
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 08:54:04 -0800
Only one circuit for outlets in the garage?  There should definitely
be at least two.  It is not a problem if the total amperage of all the
circuit breakers exceeds the 60A input capacity.

The generator and supply lines may need to be in separate conduits.
Make sure the trench is deep enough to take the 2 or 3 conduits
stacked on top of each other.
What about ground rods for the sub-panel?

I did a similar project a few years ago in my old house.  It went
well.  There was one subtle point:  A light on the garage exterior was
controlled by a switch in the house.  I was originally planning for it
to be powered from a separate circuit from the house panel.  The
inspector suggested instead that a circuit from the garage run back to
the house to the switch and then return to the garage to the light.
This way, turning off the garage power ensured that all garage wiring
was de-energized.

Doug