[Shop-talk] Running power to the shop

Subject: [Shop-talk] Running power to the shop
From: fishplate at gmail.com (Jeff Scarbrough)
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 11:36:55 -0500
On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Wayne <wmc_st at xxiii.com> wrote:
> You might try contacting your local power co. and asking about separate
> service and meter for the garage.  Some of them will install it for very
> little or no cost.

My local co-op brought a separate service underground about 450' from
the feeder to a transformer near my shop.  All of that wire is theirs
to maintain.  I put a 200A service in the shop.  I will never need
that much, but I can weld while the compressor is running without any
worries.

Total cost from the utility was around $1250 if I recall.  Add $35 for
a permit, the same for a meter base, and then my panel and wiring.
Well worth considering.  It would have cost me almost as much to bring
service from the panel in my house.

Of course, I still need a trench to bring water, CAT5, etc. out there
so I will be comfortable next time I get in dutch with the wife.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.