[Shop-talk] Light delay for shop entrance

Subject: [Shop-talk] Light delay for shop entrance
From: fishplate at gmail.com (Jeff Scarbrough)
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 11:00:35 -0500
Of all the suggestions, I think this is the one I favor, from Bill
Rabel and others:

> There are a few light/fan switches that do this, such as
> <http://www.energyfederation.org/consumer/default.php/cPath/39_766_3058>

Kind of pricey, but offers the advantage of keeping the light on
steadily, so that visitors will feel welcome, and then a time delay
when switched off is just what I need.

This switch, form Tim Mullen seems to do the same thing, but is a bit
more complicated in operation.  I don't think I'll need the variable
timing once it's set.

> Electronic timer with on/off override:
> http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/7458/WS-RT50W.html

The DIY circuit was a close second, though the delay as drawn is a bit
short.  I don't think I can scamper to the house in 15 seconds any
more...and it doesn't seem possible to extend it much in that
configuration.

We have both the spring switches and the electronic motion-detector
switches at work in our bathrooms.  They will do what I want, but
don't have the easy operation of the bathroom fan switch.  Even the
spring switch is about $20, though.  Still, it's half the cost of the
first solution.

So, it comes down to cost vs. ease of use.  Welcome to the Engineering
Department....

Thanks for all the suggestions.  This has been quite an illuminating discussion.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.