Re: [Shop-talk] totally and completely OT online data usage question

To: 'Team shop-talk' <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] totally and completely OT online data usage question
From: "shochschild@att.net" <shochschild@att.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2012 17:40:27 -0600
Collecting recorded live music is not bootlegging, in the way I use the
term.  _Selling_ recorded live music or collecting music that the artist
doesn't want you to would be wrong, but the Dead have a long tradition
of supporting and encouraging taping, as do many if not most current
live show musicians.  The Dead used to string out patch cables from the
mixing board to a special taper's section, so everyone had the best
quality that there was.  A lot of collectors think these soundboard
(sbd) tapes are too good, so they prefer audience (aud) recordings.  For
those of us who suffer from a modicum of OCD, this means that i need two
recordings of each of 2400 shows!

Then a smart guy started mixing both the aud and sbds together, these
are called matrixed, so there is another whole thousands that I need to
download.  Lately, they are re-digitizing the original tapes to 24-bit,
which is better than cd quality.  Better than cd means they have to be
played back through a computer with a 24-bit sound card, but these
recordings are awesome!

Here is an offer:  I will send any of you a cd copy of the GD show you
saw, just tell me when and where, eg. 5/8/77 Cornell, (or as close as
you can remember <gr>) and your address.  Then put on your headphones
and you are back lissening to Jerry...  Cool, man...

This project really did take 2/3rds of my life.  Trading tapes was a
huge social network, decades ago, and my first 100 shows took as long to
get as the last 2000.  This is the miracle of the internet...

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums