Re: [Shop-talk] totally and completely OT online data usage question

To: Tim <tputland@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] totally and completely OT online data usage question
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pj_thomas@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 16:39:25 -0500
On 2/3/2012 3:49 PM, Tim wrote:
> Sorry for the bandwidth usage for an OT question.....
>
> Seeings as how this group knows a lot about a lot and I can't find what
> I am looking for using an online search, I thought someone here might be
> able to help.....
>
> I would like to figure out how much "data" usage I would go through when
> playing cards online. To clarify (if necessary): I am thinking about
> getting a wireless modem for my laptop and I play a lot of hearts, poker
> and what not online. (Pretty much all card game play online, no world of
> warcraft witch hazel or anything shooter game or what not else like
> that.)
>
> Does any one know how I can figure out how much "data" I would use in,
> say, a game of hearts that lasts a half hour?
>
> Thanks very much!
>
> Tim

Guestimate would be very little if you're playing with an application or
in a web browser running a java/flash script.  The amount of information
necessary to communincate a move would be extremely small. If it's web
based where the page is generated with each move then it would be more.

If your running windows, open the properties of you internet
connection.  Just check it, play for an hour (without surfing the web or
checking email) and check it again.    Also you internet provider may
report your usage.