[Shop-talk] Can steel cable be welded?

Subject: [Shop-talk] Can steel cable be welded?
From: dmscheidt at gmail.com (David Scheidt)
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 17:40:20 -0600
On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Jim Stone <jandkstone99 at msn.com> wrote:

> I have a couple of options for fixing the situation, but the easiest would
be
> to shorten the cable. B The stock cable is about 1/8" steel and has a
ferrule
> crimped on it at the end. B Moving the ferrule an inch would more than do
the
> trick. B I don't trust my ability to crimp something new on securely enough
and
> was thinking about fabricating and welding in a new ferrule. B Is that
feasible
> with a MIG welder? B I've never heard of anyone welding cable, but it seems
> possible. B I certainly don't want this failing at the wrong time, so I'll
> explore Plan B if this is a really bad idea.

No, you're not likely to weld wire rope.  They can be silver soldered
though, depending on the fittings, and how it's put together.   It's
also the end isn't terribly uncommon (or the other end isn't.).
Motorcycle shops do a fair amount of cable fabrication, and crane
riggers do tons of it.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt at gmail.com