Re: [Shop-talk] Alarm Systems

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Alarm Systems
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 18:34:39 -0500
Here is my take on alarm systems...

Any system can easily be defeated, and thieves (pros at least) only break
in when no one is there, so an audible alarm is just noise until they cut
the wire.

First, make sure you have insurance.  Then get a really good video system.
 For a one time fee of about $500, you can get a 9 to 18 camera system,
WITH DVR so there are no tapes or anything to worry about.

With this, you can more than likely ID the thief and recover your stuff.
If not, insurance will replace it.

These systems have web interfaces so you can log into your system remotely
and check things out.  I used this all the time when I was in Iraq and
Afghanistan.

Here is why they are way better.  I was waiting for a tank of O2 for my
welder from the local company that does tank exchanges.  I wasn't home
when they picked up my tank and dropped off the new one.
In a few days, I got a bill for a tank rental with the gas.  I called the
company and told them that I was doing a tank exchange.  They said they
didn't have any records of a tank pick up at my house.

I sent them a still shot of their driver loading my tank onto the truck
and explained that they can watch the would video if they had any
questions.  They investigated the driver who (turns out) was doing this to
lots of people and selling the tanks on the side.
He was fired, and my account was corrected.  NO amount of monthly
monitoring alarm systems could have helped me like the video.

In fact, I'm looking to upgrade to another system to nearly triple the
amount of cameras I have on my property.

BTW, I also have a video of me sliding into my garage wall when it was
really icy once.  8>0

Oh, if you want to deter a thief, get a dog.  It's the most proven way to
do it.

Eric P
Waldo Emerson

Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Sent by: shop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net
01/23/2012 14:18

Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
cc

Subject
[Shop-talk] Alarm Systems

Hey Guys --

I am investigating an alarm system for my garage/shop and attached
house.  I haven't done as much homework as I should yet.  But was
wondering if any of you had suggestions on equipment and monitoring
services?  The builder installed bay windows and a french door on the
front of my garage/shop which makes for nicely blended aesthetics w the
house but way too much visibility of contents.  And it's secluded enough
to be WAY too easy to break into unnoticed.

I'd like to self-install, and I see Lowes has G.E. security system
components available.  But I really hate G.E.  ADT has very cheap
hardware & installation, provided you sign a multi-year monitoring
contract; but I'm told their monitoring sucks.  Heard good stuff about
Vivent.  Others????

-Wayne